Wednesday, June 20, 2007

On wearing black...

I have noticed that I have relegated myself to the shadows with my most common choice of clothing color...black. I tend to buy everything in black these days. If I find a shirt that I like, my first thought is - does this come in black? Out of the last twenty shirts that I have purchased, I can honestly say that I think 17 of them were black. Just plain, old solid black. Should I see this as a problem?

Today, I am wearing a solid plain black t-shirt for the third day in a row. Perhaps I do it because I know that black goes with just about everything, that it is slimming, and that I look good in black. The only thing I really decide on in the morning is the kind of neck or shape that my black shirt of the day is going to have...
v-neck?
boat-neck?
scoop-neck?
crew?
square?
tunic?
sleeveless?
cap sleeves?
strappy? ...and the choices go on.

I know that I don't wear black because I'm a mid-twenties goth chick, or because I'm a beatnik poet (which would be kind of cool), or a depressed personality. If I only wore colors that matched my personality I'd continually be in yellows and reds -- bright, happy, and warm. However, black...it's classic, it's basic, it's easy, it's simplicity in an all enveloping color.

No matter how many black shirts I have, the next shirt I buy will probably be...black.

No comments: