Thursday, July 19, 2007

Butterfly effect...

I was cut off by a Painted Lady butterfly on my walk into work this morning from the bus.

Vanessa cardui [Linnaeus]

He flew right in front of me as I was trudging to work through the brickyard and whisked away as he passed the "going to work" fog that had engulfed me. Suddenly I heard the cheery trill of a bird somewhere above me, and witnessed the sunlight streaming though the trees with its Midas touch, turning the leaves to gold and painting the bricks in the brickyard with a warm plated sheen.



I was suddenly aware of what a beautiful day it was going to be. A light breeze ruffled my hair as one might tousle the hair on a small child's head with a hand, and I felt privileged to have crossed paths with my fellow morning commuter the Painted Lady. He had seemed like such a rude little fellow to heedlessly tear across my path without warning, but he had actually done me a favor. He brightened my morning and raised my spirits. I shall have to thank him for the kind gesture if we ever cross paths on another work day morning.

No comments: