Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Thinking thin, while feeling fat

So I keep seeing this Target commercial, do you know the one I'm talking about?



Well, the thing is that I want the black bathing suit in this commercial. The problem is that I'm slightly overweight...ok, more than slightly, I'm obese by normal standards that say someone my height - 5'5", body type - medium, and age - 25, should be from 132-144. Obese means that you are 20% over the recommended average, therefore I am obese, yay. To look at me you wouldn't think so, and my mom always said, "Oh, you're just big boned." Ha, big boned? What, the fat hanging on my bones really isn't the problem? Wow, I've been thinking about this all the wrong way, whew, I'm not fat, just big boned.

Anyway, I want the bathing suit so I thought I would go to Target and try it on. Well, it has been popular, great, none left in the store. So I went online and there it was, yay. But then I couldn't decide what size to get, a Large or an X-Large. I thought I would get them both and see which one worked and which one didn't and just return one. Well, I waited one day too long to order it, and the X-Large is now out of stock...great. Not only that, but I thought I should look at their sizing chart to see what size they recommend that I get. As it turns out the bathing suit falls into the Juniors category where everything seems to come two sizes smaller than it should. I now think I might have trouble fitting into the X-Large even if I could get it....

What is up with sizes these days anyway? Just because my hips are wide doesn't mean that my chest is huge. Maybe I won't look ridiculous in this swim suit if I can ever get it, but my hopes aren't too high...you can't avoid being fat and disappointed most of the time, but why set myself up for further humiliation by raising my hopes.

1 comment:

segfault said...

Oh, but you're so cute! I find you very brave to speak so honestly about this. You know, one librarian to another.